Thursday 17 March 2016

Moira O'Hara Inspired Hairstyle

The Maid - American Horror Story
In our technical session with Lottie, we learnt how to re-create a similar hairstyle to the Femme Fatale in season one of American Horror Story: Moira O'Hara. To the women she is an elderly, kind and helpful maid. However, to the men she is a young, sexy and forward girl who attempts to entice and corrupt any men that cross her path. This look and technique is an interesting one to learn as it can be used in a multitude of characters - even for two versions of the same person! 

Process:
  1. Heat up rollers
  2. Section the front of the hair and clip the back section of hair away whilst rolling
  3. Create side parting and start inserting large (red) rollers - roll away from parting on each side
  4. When moving onto back section, use medium (blue) rollers to create a brick work pattern at the top of the head down to the nape of the neck to create volume at the top
  5. Use small (white) rollers at the bottom of the head and roll the hair away from the neck to create an upwards curl
  6. Leave to cool
  7. Unravel rollers and brush out gently
  8. Backcomb the section of hair behind the parting (blue rollers) softly at the roots to boost the volume
  9. Gather all the hair in the back section and part into three
  10. Curl each section up into a roll at the bottom of the head
  11. Connect each section by teasing it with a bobby pin
  12. Dress the front sections to connect into the back - pin curls above and around the roll at the bottom of the head
Reflection
This was the first time I have ever used heated rollers properly! So it was a very useful experience and I feel like I got to grips with it quite quickly. I don't feel my sections at the back are neatly arranged in rollers and I have a few small sections of loose hair I had in between rollers. However, overall the hair once released had great volume and curl. I found it very difficult to roll up the bottom of the hair to look similar to Lottie's demo and I feel the final attempt of mine is very rough and loose. Also, I was unsure on what I was doing with the top sections of hair so I placed the curls randomly but they did not look like they fitted in well from the back. Although, from the side the hair looks very stylish and pretty. I did really enjoy this session but I feel I would need another practice of this to feel confident as well as practising it on a human head!

No comments:

Post a Comment