Saturday 13 February 2016

SFX Burns

A burn is a type of injury to the skin that is caused by heat, electricity, chemicals, friction or radiation.

Types of burns
2nd degree burn (image used
to inspire my attempt)
  • 1st degree - affects only one and outermost layer of the skin 
  • 2nd degree - injury extends to more than one layer 
  • 3rd degree - all layer of skins are affects
Products Used:
  • Meltable gelatine nuggests
  • Supracolour palette
  • SFX blood
  • SFX pus
  • Witch hazel
  • Moisturiser
  • Palette knife
  • Microwave
Health & Safety
  • Conduct allergy test on model's forearm and check no rash or itchiness appears
  • Check with model for any current skin complaints 
  • Make sure all sponges/brushes are clean
  • Make sure model's eyes are closed at all times whilst using latex or acetone on the face
  • Test heat of melted gelatine on own arm before applying
  • Cover model
  • Wash hands
Consultation Notes
  • Name: Beth Haile
  • Age: 19
  • Hair type: Short, blonde hair - dyed
  • Skin type: Combination
  • Skin tone: Light with pink undertones
  • Allergies: N/A
Process:
Before and after powdering
  • Melt the required amount of gelatine in microwave for around 20-30 seconds (but must keep checking)
  • Once gelatine is melted and cooled to the correct temperature for application, apply with palette knife on desired area.
  • Make sure edges are smooth and pull up parts of gelatine where you want to create texture or holes for the wound.
  • Use witch hazel to smooth harsh edges into skin.
  • Use hairdryer on a cool setting to make sure the gelatine has set (it will go tacky)
  • Powder to remove tackiness to make it easier to work with
  • Apply colouring and textures (blood, pus etc)

Self Reflection
This lesson was really exciting and engaging for me as I have been waiting to get stuck in with injuries and gore! Working with gelatine was really easy and effective and I really want to invest in some of my own to practise with. I am frustrated that the edges at the bottom of the burn are harsh and visible but I have learnt now that I must check that all edges are very smooth before cooling. 

I had originally painted my piece much heavier with lots of red and dark shades, however, Sue advised me it was too obvious that it was makeup and used moisturiser on a pad to remove the top layer and exposed more of the translucency of the gelatine to look more realistic with a blistering effect. I am pretty happy with the overall application of the colours but I do think it is slight too bright and orange and I would now add more dark red shades around the blistered sections to create more depth. Sue also advised me to add some aged blood into the pus to make it look more realistic. The tips and improvements mean I will be able to create a very realistic piece next attempt. This practise session has interested me into creating a design for Miss Havisham based at the end of the book following her fire accident, burns could be placed on the face and neck but it would be hard to maintain for continuity purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment