Monday 11 April 2016

Mrs Laderman Makeup and Hair Designs

Mrs Laderman's character spends most of her time outside in the full force of the zombie apocalypse. Therefore, she will be tanned (the show is set in a hot Atlanta, USA environment), dirty and cut all over. My model has lovely skin so I am planning on just concealing any blemishes or redness that occur on the day to leave a natural looking base and not show any obvious makeup. I have drawn up variations of my apocalyptic makeup designs to show different physical effects of the apocalypse.

Design 1

Makeup: This design demonstrates the visual aesthetic of prolonged time in the sun in the apocalyptic world. I would start by stippling on a layer of red (mix with moisturiser to thin out the colour) over the light base on the tops of the cheeks, bridge of nose, chin and forehead. I would not powder to leave a sheen on the skin to add to the realism of the sunburn as the skin may almost be blistering. Following that, I would stipple a dark, cool brown on areas of the face to simulate dried dirt. The eyelids would be made slightly red too to show tiredness and the lips would be dabbed with the same shade to emphasis the lips natural colour. Although I like this look as I achieved these effects well in the technical lessons, I feel it is a little bit too simple and I would like to add some sfx makeup.
Hair: I would create two french plaits and make them look loose and distressed. This design would be convenient for this environment but I feel it too neat and not fitting well within The Walking Dead series.

Design 2

Makeup: For the base, I have created a similar look with dried dirt but left out the redness so it does not distract from the sfx I have included. I want to include a vicious looking scar on my characters face to reflect the horrendous world and conditions she has to live and survive in. I want it to be a result of Mrs Laderman trying to fight back or leave Claudia and she physically threatened and attacked her. It could be a physical representation of Claudia's hold over her. However, I feel like this may indicate to the viewer she is the villain as they often have a tell-tale sign like a large scar.
Hair: I would I curl my model's hair and brush it out to look like natural curls and style it with texturising spray and hairspray to make it look messy and distressed. I do really like the idea of this but I do not feel it would be a useful way of styling hair in a world where she is constantly fighting for her life. 

Final Design

Makeup: I will use dark shades of foundation to create the appearance of dried dirt on her face and shoulders, slight redness around the eyes to should tiredness and exhaustion, slight contour with a cream brown/grey shade to sculpt the model's face to show malnutrition and sfx cuts on the face and arms. For the cuts, I will use wax to mould the shape, latex to set it and keep it in place and will colour it with supracolour and fake blood. I will also use glycerin around the face to add sweat to show the climate and her lifestyle. This is my favourite design as I think it will fit in perfectly with the other styling on The Walking Dead and it gives me an opportunity to practice a mixture of the sfx techniques we have been taught this term.

Hair: My favourite idea for the hair is to keep it away from the face in a loose bun. I will have loose hairs hanging down around the face and the roots will be greasy and the flyaways will be wet with 'sweat'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment